Thank you for your interest! The 2021 teaching application is now closed.
If you would still like to apply to teach on the Free Stage, you can do so here: Free Stage Application
Classes will be Wednesday, Feb. 24-Sunday, Feb. 28, 2021
The Sewing & Stitchery Expo has delighted students, shoppers, and fans for more than 35 years, and while 2021 may look a little different, we’re still here to teach a variety of sewing, textile, and fiber arts. We can’t wait to help student learn new skills in sewing, beading, knitting, crochet, tatting, weaving, and other textile arts-related topics from their own homes. The virtual classroom is new for many of us, and the Expo team is committed to making sure students and teachers have a great experience, whether they’re in class with us in Puyallup or sitting at their machines at home!
We know this is a new way to teach, and we will provide support and tips on virtual instruction. Although we are unable to provide technical support in your physical classroom, we are happy to work with you in advance to ensure you have the tools necessary to succeed virtually.
Follow the link below to learn more about the virtual classroom experience.
Please keep track of these important show deadlines.
- Oct. 4: Online application closes
- Oct. 30: Preliminary class selections made. Additional classes may be added after this date.
- November: Class schedule will be finalized and available to teachers. Teachers will receive teaching confirmation letters, including schedules
- Dec. 1: Links for kit fees due to show management, along with complete class supply lists
- Dec. 1: Current W-9 form due to show management
- December: Class catalog is released to the public
- Jan. 12, 2021: Online ticket sales begin
- Jan. 31: Registration for classes with kits closes.
- Feb. 2: Teachers will be provided with class lists and student email addresses, if necessary. Registration for non-kit classes will still be open, so subject to change.
- Feb. 24: Four Needle classes begin
- Feb. 24-28: Virtual Sewing & Stitchery Expo is open
We know that Expo is a busy event, and that going virtual means even more possible challenges. Some suggestions for teacher success …
- Read emails from Expo!
- Practice with Zoom before the show! Zoom is a free service, and all of our classes will be on the Zoom platform. Make sure you’re familiar with how it works. We’ll offer some training sessions, too!
- Practice, practice, practice. And not just with Zoom. Teaching virtually is a totally different approach, and we want to make sure teachers and students have a great experience. If you’re not recording your session in advance, then make sure you are ready to go on the day of class.
- Be organized! Students are entrusting us with their time and energy. They expect teachers to be prepared to teach, and they expect to know what materials and supplies are needed in advance.
- Arrive early and finish your class on time. Our virtual classrooms have waiting rooms where you will be “on deck.” We advise arriving early and checking in with the class moderator. Classes will conclude at the posted time to ensure all classes are given equal time in our virtual setting.
- Prepare a handout on your class topic or technique, and be prepared to email it before, during, or immediately after class. You can also host the handout on your website or in our event database.
- Let us know if you need to reach students before class for sizing or other information. We will provide you with an email list of enrolled students at least three weeks before the show so that you can connect with them. If we provide you with student email addresses, you may not add them to your own mailing list without their consent.
- Send your kits out on time. You will be required to fulfill all kit contents for students. Links for students to purchase kits must be sent to Expo by Dec. 1, and kits must be mailed at least three weeks before your class. Registration for kit classes will close on Feb. 1.
Teacher Terms & Conditions
By registering as a teacher at the Sewing & Stitchery Expo, you agree to abide by the Terms & Conditions of the show.
Voicemail is checked daily.